Today I’d like to share a bit of info about part 3 of Paper 1: Word Formation.
In this part, you will be asked to read a text and complete the eight numbered gaps with a form of the word in capitals at the end of the line.
There are three main categories of changes that are tested. These are affixation (suffixes and prefixes), compound and grammatical changes. Be aware: at Proficiency level there is no limit to the number of changes which might be required to the root word!
Below are some examples of the changes you might need to make:
- noun to adjective: flaw to flawless
- noun to negative adverb: effect to ineffectively
- adjective to negative adverb: definite to indefinitely
- verb to noun: act to interaction
- verb to plural noun: apply to applicants
- adjective to verb: deep to deepened
The exercise below is about scientific research into/on teenage brains (source: Gateway C1). Make sure you check the following:
- Do you need to make the word plural?
- Is a prefix needed?
- Does any prefix need to be negative?
Best of luck! ✌ 🙂